Wednesday, June 12, 2013

How to avoid getting stuck.



"Don't drive through the field - just go around."
"Avoid large water puddles on the road."
"Check the depth of the river before trying to cross."
"When your vehicle length exceeds the width of the river crossing you will get hung up."
Those are only four of the instructions I ignored on my way to getting a Willy's Jeep so stuck so that all four tires could free wheel. Had I followed the instructions I would have saved countless hours, not had to assist in a baby delivery in a muddy field, not had to be towed by a Land Rover out of a river bed, and not had to excavate a dry river bed so my tires could touch the ground.
Following the instructions of wise counselors is a short cut to success. 
Fortunately, I have gotten better at listening to and even soliciting instructions from people who have done what I am attempting. My spiritual growth has been accelerated on more than one occasion by mentors who have directed me to specific books or articles. My relational growth has progressed at the same speed with which I gather advice from friends and family who know me well and see my flaws more clearly than I. My professional life has been better navigated because of the many ministers and professors who have written on experiences and issues I have not yet encountered.
We can all learn from wise counsel. Who are your wise counselors? Which one do you need to contact today for insight and correction. I find beginning the day with the most wise of all counselors, my Lord, opens my mind to the rest of the counselors in my life.
 Proverbs 11:14 
Where there is no guidance, a people falls, but in an abundance of counselors there is safety. 
 1 John 4:1 
Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, for many false prophets have gone out into the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment