Thursday, December 27, 2012

Change One Word - Change One Year



New Year’s resolutions are upon us. In the past I have attempted great changes such, “Become fluent in a language other than English.” I have given up trying to be fluent in English.
Then I changed the nature of the resolutions to be small actions committed on a regular basis such as, “Read through the One Year Bible” with which I was a bit more successful.
I just read something that is so simple I am embarrassed I did not think of it myself. Keep Believing Ministries suggests all we need to do is remove one word from our vocabulary: “Can’t.” We use it all the time, don’t we? We say, “I can’t lose weight.” “I just can’t seem to save money.” “I try and try but I can’t find the time to read the Bible.” “After what she did, I can’t forgive her.” “No matter how hard I try, I can’t change.”
Now for you literalists I know there are appropriate and functional times to say “can’t.” “I Can’t save myself,” is a fine example. However, on the main, this little word dulls motivation, shifts responsibility, and, in its most insidious use, denies reality.
When I say “I can’t" – especially with reference to the problems of life – I am just giving up without an effort. Without suiting up and walking onto the field I have admitted defeat without even trying, because, after all, I have decided, “I can’t.”
I am not suggesting we become the little engine that could, that does not always turn out to be possible. I am suggesting that we eliminate the word “can’t” from our vocabulary this year.
Paul writes in Philippians 4:13, “I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” When I put the divine “if” in this passage I am able to remove the “can’t.” The divine “if” refers to placing “if it is God’s will.” God’s will is that everyone come to Him and those who are in Him bring them. This year you can do everything God intends for you to do. No matter how hard, no matter how difficult, no matter how impossible things may seem right now. If God wants you to do it, in 2013 you can!

No comments:

Post a Comment